Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Making Comparisons Question 1

      After reading the question, I agree with the critcs as stereotyping them as average males and females. As a male after reading "Dover Beach", it made me think of this couple by the sea even though he used the sea as a metaphor. I think this is the way that most males look at poetry as the typical love scene. It expresses the guys concern for the relationship and it describes the way he feels about the situation. The poem also shows how their love for each other can help them make it through anything.
      Also in the second poem "My Husband's Back", the reader could stereotype that this poem is for the feamles. The female here is stating how love is an anchor and can get them through life's disappointments. Most female poetry I believe looks at love as a positive element and this poem to me seems to be doing the same. I think that females like in this poem put too much emphasis on love and that is sometimes the downfall. Women believe that without love it would be hard to go on living life. They use love as a shield to protect them from harm. In the second poem Susan shows how the power of love is great and that is what makes me think of this poem as stereotypical toward females. The critics of these poems have a understanding of the way they both display the meaning of love. That is why I agree with them because most poems such as these two allow the readers to understand how each a male and a female can look at love in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment